Thursday, August 21, 2008

What does American mean to you?

In our textbook, Gary Q. Arpin notes that as soon as European explorers visited America in the 1400's and 1500's, they began to write back to Europe about how great this unexplored new world was. Arpin writes, "Hoping to fund further expeditions, the explorers emphasized the Americas' abundant resources, the peacefulness and hospitality of the inhabitants, and the promise of the unlimited wealth to be gained from fantastic treasuries of gold" (6, italics added). In order to get the money they needed these explorers painted a rosy version of America that captured the imagination of Europe. Writers like Spenser, Montaigne, and Shakespeare were influenced by the idea of this Utopian continent.

The trend of seeing America in an idealized light has continued in full force ever since. When John Smith (think Pocahontas) wrote the first book on American soil, he romanticized America and the noble and teachable savage. The Puritan settlers saw their society as a city on a hill that the rest of the world could look at as a shining example.

How do we see America today? Do we idealize our country? Is our strong sense of national pride a good or a bad thing? What does it mean to be an American?

64 Comments:

Blogger Talulah Warbenstein said...

I think that our strong sense of national pride is a bad thing because it causes a lot of people to think that as Americans we are better than people from other countries and that America is the best country in the world. I think that America is a good country to live in and we definitely have a higher quality of life than many other countries but that shouldn't give us the right to consider ourselves better than other people.

8/22/2008 10:15 AM  
Blogger kelseyaves said...

Today we still see America as a land of many opportunities, a place where we can freely express ideas, thoughts and follow dreams. Idealization of our country often occurs politcally because many think that democracy is what made our country come together, and it did. However forcing it upon countries that it may not work for is what makes our strong national pride a bad thing. Sometimes strong national pride is associated with the South which is known for some racists roots. To be an American means you're free to dream.

8/22/2008 10:19 AM  
Blogger Talulah Warbenstein said...

I think that our strong sense of national pride is a bad thing because it leads a lot of people to think that as Americans we are superior to other countries and the people that live in them. America is a great country to live in and our quality of life is higher than most other places but that doesn't give anyone the right to assume that we are better than anyone else.

8/22/2008 10:20 AM  
Blogger Emily P. said...

To me being an american is a very honorable thing. I take pride in my country and everything it stands for. To me being an american, and taking pride in my country is a very important thing. I believe that it is also important to recognize other countries as well but to take pride in ones country means the most. I think that some people do idealize our country but others do not. I believe that the people that are in the tougher situations in america do not idealize america but the people who have everything and the american dream going for them really take idealize to the next level.

8/22/2008 10:21 AM  
Blogger MeganOD said...

To me, America is a melting pot of many different backrounds. Being an American is not where you came from, but more who you are at the present time. It's about having pride in the country you live in, and being able to express that pride in anyway possible. An ideal American is one who can accept any race, sex, heritage for who they are, without judgement. Being an American is about being unique. because in America, we are free to do most anything we put out minds to. An American is someone who has pride in their country and appriciates all the good it has to offer.

8/22/2008 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

America to me is truly the land of the free and the hard working. The people of america are a very proud people.The american culture is not just one religion or one nationality but is one in that we live in the same place and uniofy under on government. America to me is also politics in a sense. We have the right to vote and choose our leaders. America today to me is the greatest country on earth. The country always manages through thick and thin. An ideal america to me would be run by a leader who always stays true to there word like ronald reagen

8/22/2008 10:23 AM  
Blogger Emily P. said...

To respond to jakes. I do believe that looking down on other countries and the people in them is a bad thing but taking pride in your own country is very important. I believe that you should experience things first hand before you judge them, meaning that we all, as americans, should see other countries and their way of life before we assume things. Yes we have a higher quality of life but for many people the traditions are much different. Therefore making their opinion different.

8/22/2008 10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I see America as a free land. I think part of being American is being free and that is something that sets us apart from different countries. We do idealize our country very much. I think that most Americans are proud to live here. I think it is good and bad that we idealize our country. It's good because we all come together and support each other in America. It can also cause trouble because sometimes Americans can become cocky of their heritage, and that can make other people with different heritages angry.

8/22/2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger Breederboy said...

Today, America is seen as a land of promise and opportunity. To me as an American, it seems that although other countries may have national pride, they strive to have the success of the American stereotype. We definitely do idealize our country...but only because it is the greatest country in the world. Because of this, Americans have bountiful national pride. National pride is a very good thing. Honor to one's country can only help in the further progression of that country. An American is free, brave, and part of the greatest nation on Earth.

8/22/2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger Riley C. said...

I believe our sense of national pride is good and bad. It is good because it helps our country to be strong. Our pride is also a bad thing because some Americans think we are better than other countries. To be an American is to live free without the fear of being punished for saying what we feel. Many Americans view America as a great country because of our freedom.

8/22/2008 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many people still view America as being the greatest thing that's happened to the world, but sometimes this bias leaves us blind. It's not a bad thing to love one's country, and we do have a rightful pride, but those who start to believe their country is better than everyone else's, and thus more important, need to take a step back and view things from a different perspective. No country is perfect, and although we as Americans may adore our ideals, culture, and government, that doesn't mean we're above anyone else.
Americans' pride has seemed to lessen recently, but I think that's because they believe that our situation is so adverse that certain difficulties can't be overcome. Every country has issues that they need to deal with, some poverty, others tyrrany. Although we have these problems, we shouldn't lose faith in America as a country. We have a right to be proud, as long as we don't let us think ourselves superior to others.
I believe that being an American means standing for peace and trying to find a reasonable solution to issues throughout the country. Like our founding fathers, the new leaders of our country have a lot of power, but it's intended to help everyone. I think that being an American means seeking truth and justice as well as mercy. Those who stand for those things, have faith in our country, and obey our laws are perfect examples of Americans.

8/22/2008 10:26 AM  
Blogger LJg said...

To be an American means to have pride in the country that we come from and currently live in. I think a lot of Americans today take advantage of all of the opportunities and freedoms that we are given today. I think that our strong sense of American pride can be a good or a bad thing depending how you show your American pride. It's a great thing to show compassion for the nation you came from, but not to think that we are better than any other country and look down on others who are less fortunate then we as Americans are. I think that the true meaning of an American is a person, like in the reading, who looks at American as an idealized light that has continued full force ever since it was discovered and continues that way today. Today’s generation and the few generations before ours, takes advantage of what we are given because that is all we/they know and it’s what we/they grew up with so there is no idea of how far we have come since first discovered compared to other countries who didn't have a lot when it was first discovered and haven't gotten too much farther now.

8/22/2008 10:27 AM  
Blogger SamR said...

To me America stands for nobility, honor, and justice. We will always stand for those who can't. We will support those who can not stand. We have so many advantages that others do not.

8/22/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger kelseyaves said...

breederboy said that Honor to one's country can only help in the further progression of it. I would agree with breederboy because National pride is what keeps people motivated, to know that hard work creates success for a nation. It helps even more to see the effects and positive influences on their individual communities as well.

8/22/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger AverillC said...

The possibility of becoming rich from poverty is not the only American dream. Or at least it shouldn't be. There is much more to being an American than accepting and enjoying the "mystery" of it. Like Bryce said, intellectual, or religious, or occupational exploration, and the ability to do so, is much more a part of America than gaining riches because of the lack of royalty.

8/22/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger BrookeW said...

We see America as being the ideal, "free" place to live with freedom of speech and equal rights. We idealize our country as being perfect, and the strongest. Our strong sense of national pride makes other countries hate us and want to kill us all but also brings unity between our citzens, therefore its both positive and negative.An ideal American is to not be racist and be accepting of everyone and remain hard working. However, most people are not all of these things. Most Americans are independent, and have faith in what this country stands for.

8/22/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger Brendan P said...

I see America a very segregated country by what we believe or think. I think that it depends on your political party or religion. Whether you like McCain or Obama whether your Catholic or Buddhist.

Some people I know do not idealize America. I don't think this is a great thing but I think the great thing about America is freedom to think what we want. I think it would be a good thing to be proud to be an American any time not just when tragedy strikes or is upon other in the USA. Like the Olympics people are showing pride but are all those people going to show pride only every 2 years?

I think national pride is a very good thing because many people do not show their pride. So if there are people who show it I think it is a very good thing.

Be an American is someone living in North or South America. If you don't agree I spoke to a man from Argentina and as he was talking to us about what he thinks of the USA he asked us "What do you think about some Americans... I mean USA citizen because I am an American.” This really opened my eyes to what we think and what people from around the world think an American is.

8/22/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger Tanya M. said...

Today we see America as a country of freedom. America is not the perfect country we once thought it was though. We do idealize our country. We believe that we are the best nation and most of us would not pick somewhere else to live. Our strong sense of national pride is a good thing because it is what unites us. We are a melting pot of different types of people and without the pride in our nation we would have even larger racial struggles. Being a true American means accepting people for who they are, although not many of us would be considered true Americans under that standard.

8/22/2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger Tanya M. said...

Today we see America as a country of freedom. America is not the perfect country we once thought it was though. We do idealize our country. We believe that we are the best nation and most of us would not pick somewhere else to live. Our strong sense of national pride is a good thing because it is what unites us. We are a melting pot of different types of people and without the pride in our nation we would have even larger racial struggles. Being a true American means accepting people for who they are, although not many of us would be considered true Americans under that standard.

8/22/2008 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with megans comment america is a melting pot and i not defined by your race and that an ideal american can accept whatever race sex or any other defining characteristic. and also the fact that no american is alike and there all unique whether it's there opinions or height.

8/22/2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Kelsey. I think that an important part of being American is being able to dream. In other countries they can dream but are they really able to achieve that goal? I also agree that our country is full of opportunities. That is something that helps us achieve our goals.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger msabey said...

I do Idealize our country. I beleive that THE LAND OF THE FREE as an Ideal serves a much greater purpose and is much more powerful. As in reality there are many people in america who are not truly free. Yet if we did not have this Ideal or this goal to reach for, that "all people living In America are truly free" we would have lost many freedoms that we do enjoy.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger msabey said...

I do Idealize our country. I beleive that THE LAND OF THE FREE as an Ideal serves a much greater purpose and is much more powerful. As in reality there are many people in america who are not truly free. Yet if we did not have this Ideal or this goal to reach for, that "all people living In America are truly free" we would have lost many freedoms that we do enjoy.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger JackL said...

What does america mean to me? Excellent question, america to me isn't just a country it's my home. I lived in america my hole life and i'm darn proud to call myself an american. America to me is a land of oppertunities, i know that may sound cheesy but it's true; people have come here with nothing and now have a lot, like arnold shwartzinager. There offcourse are bad things in america, like rascism, crime, but i cant think of a country that doesnt have that.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger Laura M. said...

America is an amazing country to live in. There are so many oppertunities and so many things you can do. Our nation has so much pride and has gotten so much more united since september 11th. I think our national pride can sometimes be a bad thing because it allows other countries to think we are better than them and more superior. It can also be a good thing because it brings Americans together as one. I think that being an American is taking pride in their country and taking advantage of the many things America has to offer. Also being American is accepting people's differences. Since America is a free country people have many differences such as race and religion.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger MarkH said...

I disagree that out national pride is a bad thing. Take the Olympics for example. That whole competition is about is proving your countries superiority. That competition is all about our national pride which I believe is extremely important. Even with this national pride and higher qualtiy of life we still reach out to those countries in need.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American means that you are from America. and to be american is to be part of the best country around. We have more and better oppertunites than other countries, freedom that others do not posses in other countries. America is the best. if u think other wise u can leave.

8/22/2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger Vivienne R said...

Americans today view the United States the same way they did 500 years ago, as "the land of opportunity." We see our country as free and equal, and accept our government as the most effective type. Obviously, the United States has come a long way to get to where it is today but our view of America as an ideal country is a bit over the top. If John Smith thought the savage were so "noble" and "teachable," then why did he lead soldiers to murder entire tribes just because they didn't accept the protestant religon? There are many unpleasent events in U.S. history, but what country doesn't have things they'd rather sweep under the rug? Just like we have our gruesome Civil War, The French have the French Revolution, Germany has the holocaust and WWII; Any countries story will be ugly but everyone will still have a strong sense of pride for their country of residence or birth. To be an American just means that you live in the United States and accept the culture. If anyone decided to move to Germany and live in the culture and befriend people of that country, they too would call themselves German. An average American's sense of pride for their nation isn't good or bad, it's normal.

8/22/2008 5:11 PM  
Blogger Vivienne R said...

nknight, I agree with you, to some extent. We are American because we live in America, but just having that title doesn't mean we're better then other countries. We might be more developed but not better, that's strictly a matter or opinion.

8/22/2008 5:17 PM  
Blogger ChanelJ said...

Today’s America is still the land of opportunity and freedom. I’m a proud America. I have the amazing ability to speak and write what I feel even if it would be going against someone else’s opinion. However, America today is very different than how it used to be. There isn’t as much sense of pride anymore. Nowadays I don’t think people even noticed how blessed we are to live in such a great country. Although we have many upsides to being Americans, there are the down sides as well. I am not saying every American, but Americans can sometimes let their status as an American make them feel as though they are superior to other nations and people. We think it is our business to go into other countries and make them like we are. Some countries do need our help, but we should not barge into other affairs so often.

8/22/2008 5:59 PM  
Blogger ChanelJ said...

nknight and vivienne r, I also agree with you two completely. We are not superior to anyone else because we carry the title America. That doesn't mean we can't be proud to have the title though. Sometimes we are blinded by pride and it causes us to do things we shouldn't.

8/22/2008 6:03 PM  
Blogger DominicH said...

I think being an American is about having pride in our country and the courage to fight for what we believe in. I also believe having national pride is a great thing. There is nothing to be ashamed of by living in America.

8/22/2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger JohnM said...

Last year in my history class, someone said that they were embarrased to be American, which made me angry, because of how lucky we are to be in such a great nation. I am so grateful and proud to be American. To be American is to be blessed, because our founding fathers fought so hard so that we could be able to be free and to have the rights that we sometimes forget that we have, while other countries strive to have the freedoms that we possess. I think that pride in our country is such a great thing because it shows how grateful we are for the sacrifice that has been made by many, even today. The only time when pride for our nation can get out of hand is when we think that we are better than other nations or belittle them because of cultures that they have or things that they do.

8/22/2008 11:52 PM  
Blogger JohnM said...

I agree with Megan, because this country really is the melting pot of the world, and we do need to accept those that are different than us that are different cultures or people, because we need to get used to the fact that America is the place to be, and is, as many others have said, the "land opportunity". There are infinite things to do in our land and anyone who comes into our land is given the chance to live freely, hence the "land of opportunity."

8/23/2008 12:25 AM  
Blogger msabey said...

As John said we need to have pride in our country, because it is such a great country. It is a place I believe was founded god. Yet still no one can deny that it has been some what curupted by men. We now are in major national debt. We have taken some freedoms to far, even to where people can kill people for being on their property. We need pride in our country but still we need to be careful. We are becomeing like the pharacies in the new testament, and takeing our freedoms to the nth degree. Luckily we the people have the power to make change.
God bless America.

8/23/2008 7:19 PM  
Blogger Brendan P said...

I disagree with Lura because we are superior and better then other country. If an oceanic country was attack we would go to their aid because they don't have armed forces. We have the most powerful weapons and bombs in the world. Look at the Olympics we are first in the medal count. It is hard to say that we are not superior or "better" then any other country.

8/23/2008 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with Brendan. Superiority can't be measured by how strong our military is or how well we did in the Olympics. Even if we excel in certain areas, I think to say we are superior to any other country would be to say one person is better than another because they live in the country with all the resources. I don't think you can try to balance a country's worth based on how rich, resourceful, or talented the country is. Different countries will have different assets, and there isn't any way to tell which should be considered "better". Also, I don't believe a military defines a country, nor do a certain few athletes. They may represent us well in the Olympics, but we can't say those people are what defines America.

8/23/2008 11:16 PM  
Blogger DominicH said...

I agree with Brendan. The U.S. is in many ways better than a lot of countries. But that doesn't give us the right to rub it in the faces of other countries because like them we have many flaws.

8/24/2008 11:49 AM  
Blogger Jessica B said...

We see America as a land of hopes and dreams, and a place where you can be who you want to be. Where we can say what we want and have our own options to what we believe. Sometimes we take these freedoms for granted, but we should always remember that we are honored to be an American. I think that we do idealize our country because sometimes we put ourselves above other countries. But at the same time we don’t because we are still finding problems in our country that need to be fixed. I feel that a strong sense of national pride is a good thing because it means that you support your country through the bad and the good. To me, being American means that I can be myself, support my country, and have my own option on what matters to me the most.

8/24/2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger Jessica B said...

Vivienne R, I mostly agree with what you wrote. I too feel that every country isn’t prefect and we all have made mistakes, but it has made us the country we are today. Just because a country has been through civil wars or world wars, doesn’t mean that they are a bad country. But I disagree that “to be an American just means that you live in the United States and accept the culture”. I feel that there is more to being an American, like supporting your country and knowing your freedoms and using them wisely.

8/24/2008 12:24 PM  
Blogger BrookeW said...

breederboy, i can agree that is a very good thing to have a strong sense of national pride, but i believe the extent of our pride these days has gone too far. I think as Americans we need to find ways to keep our "bountiful" pride but find ways to humble it. As you stated, countries strive to be the ideal american, including our views of holding natiuonal pride. However, most countries are not able to go up to those standards which causes jealousy and resentment. This has put America in the trouble we are now facing.

8/24/2008 4:41 PM  
Blogger paytonb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/24/2008 4:58 PM  
Blogger paytonb said...

Today, we see America as a place with endless opportunities and many freedoms. I think we do idealize our country and as Americans put ourselves ahead of other countries, but we also sometimes don’t have a right to idealize our country because although we are great, there are also areas where America needs improvement. Our strong sense of national pride is a good thing because it just shows we have respect for and support our country. To be an American means that you can want to achieve anything, and have the opportunities and freedom to become whatever you choose to be.

8/24/2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger paytonb said...

Chanelj, I agree with many of the things you said about America, as I too am proud to be an American. I also agree with your statement about how we have the great ability to write and speak our minds even if others don’t agree with our opinions. But, I don’t see your point in saying because of our pride in our own country, we barge into others affairs. I don’t believe that we help countries because of our pride for our own. I think we help them because they have invited us; they are in need or to serve our national interest.

8/24/2008 5:25 PM  
Blogger JaimeM said...

America is known throughout the world for taking pride in its freedoms and culture. Although America is considered to be a melting pot of different origins, I view my country as a band of people looking to get the most out of life's opportunities. Nationalism is one of the most important qualities a country could have. This causes citizens to come together and support each other, especially when the nation is under stress. I love the fact that I live in one of the most prideful nations in the world because we are always setting the bar higher for ourselves, and we try to be the best we can.

8/24/2008 6:01 PM  
Blogger JaimeM said...

Vivienne r, i agree with the fact that America's nationalism is a little over the top, you could almost call it conceited. Before i started reading what other people had said, I began to realize more and more that it really has to do more with people as individual and their own opinions, rather than taking the whole country and slapping a label on it. There are many people who strongly believe that other nations are inferior to us, but at the other end of the spectrum, many people think we have a corrupt government and vicious leaders. It goes both ways and stereotyping the nation as a whole prideful/ not prideful group of people, is unrealistic.

8/24/2008 6:12 PM  
Blogger Laura M. said...

I agree with Megan. Every American should take pride in their country and accept everyone that lives in America. It's an amazing country with so many oppertunities and so many different types of people. It's cool to be a melting pot of all different races and religions.

8/24/2008 7:03 PM  
Blogger MeganOD said...

I agree with Jack. In America, I think we sometimes forget about all the oppertunies that are available to us. People come from all over the world to "live a better life" in America. Yes China and India are becoming more and more powerful in the business industry, but that is just one aspect of life. In America there are so many other opportunities that may not be available for people in other countries.

8/24/2008 7:17 PM  
Blogger AverillC said...

From its very beginning, America was considered a Utopia, and in a lot of places, I would say except for here, it still is. Looking at previous comments, there are very different views on how "perfect" America is. (These comments coming from inside the U.S.) I think a lot of this idolization from the beginning came mostly from hope: people wanted and needed a place that they could hope is perfect- the exception in such an imperfect world. We have resources, and democracy, and opportunities that are different from other countries. However perfect the idea of America is, Americans are still human. Such a large flaw as being human may destroy its Utopian potential.

8/24/2008 7:21 PM  
Blogger AverillC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/24/2008 7:21 PM  
Blogger JackL said...

I would have to disagree with Brendan, I think the whole presumption that Americans think there so much better than everyone else, just because we have bigger bombs and military is a common misconception in the world today. Can we really say we are a "superior" country just because we win a lot of medals at the Olympics? Yes America is a much more advanced country than others, despite that fact I still wouldn't go as far as to say were a superior nation. That basically implies that all other nations are inferior to mighty America, I mean that's basically what the Nazi’s said and I’m pretty sure were not like the Nazi’s.

8/24/2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger Riley C. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/24/2008 8:02 PM  
Blogger Riley C. said...

Brookew said that many countries want to "kill us" for our national pride and I agree. Many countries don't like that we have such a high level of pride. This is why our national pride can hurt us as well as help us.

8/24/2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger Talulah Warbenstein said...

I agree with John M. America is about being whoever you want to be and accepting other people for their differences. The times that there have been big movements based on intolerance, such as slavery or not allowing women to vote, have been the darkest periods in our country. People need to look beyond the differences of other people and accept everyone else for who they are and who they choose to be.

8/24/2008 8:44 PM  
Blogger Bryan N. said...

Often times I think that many, many Americans take our country for granted. We are able express our ideas as openly as we want, we are able to become whom ever we want to be, we live in a country of endless possibilities. I really do think strong national pride is a great thing because we truely do live in an amazing country. When I think of myself as an American I see myself starring at my future. Full of remarkable dreams and oppurtunities just waiting to be fulfilled.

8/24/2008 9:31 PM  
Blogger Bryan N. said...

I agree with Sam, I also believe that in order to be proud of your country you have to have the willingness to help others in there time of need. Its absolutley terrilble whats happening in many of those impovrished countries and I think that American should help. If we stand for freedom justice and honor then it should be a moral imperative to help.

8/24/2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger Breederboy said...

Today, we see America as the best nation in the world. Although the economy has had a few rough blows lately, we still are an incredible world power. We do idealize our country and that is maybe just because we live here. Every other country shows nationalism and it is a good thing. The recent olympics are a perfect example of how every country shows great pride in their own nation. National pride is a great thing. It's what drives the world to compete and make better ideas and products. To be an American, means to be part of the greatest nation on Earth. Every American has their own identity and contributes their own unique characteristics to make America what it is today.

8/24/2008 9:57 PM  
Blogger tylerh said...

I see America as the land of the free and opportunities. People have rights to do what they want and not treated with disrespect. I think that we do idealize our country only because it is good to have pride in your country and hoping for the best. I think that a strong sense in national pride is a good thing because you should have pride in living with rights. It also could be a bad thing though if you have to much pride. I think that to be an American you should have rights and be able to live freely.

8/24/2008 10:09 PM  
Blogger LJg said...

i think that we should also take responsibility of our american actions. i dont think that some of the decisions we make as americans are the smartest sometimes and i wish they would have been made differently. i have a different outlook on the american government after the iraqui war.

8/24/2008 10:13 PM  
Blogger tylerh said...

I agree with Jake because i think that a strong sense of national pride can make people feel like we are trying to be superior to them. America is the land of many opportunities and it is truly a great place to live.

8/24/2008 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with tylerh. I believe that it is a good think to have pride in your country and want to succeed but, to be ignorant and say that other countriesd are beneath us is wrong. we should not take our freedom and rights for granted but be thankful for them because we could all be in much tougher situtations than the ones we are in now.

8/24/2008 11:10 PM  
Blogger MarkH said...

I agree with Bryan Americans truely do take our country for granted. Most Americans have never seen what the rest of the world lives like and its horrible. We live in a great country full of oppurtunity and should use this to help less fortunate countries

8/25/2008 9:23 AM  
Blogger hannah k said...

I think that our national pride is bad because we get in other countries business. Sometimes we think that we are the best country and thats what leads our pride to a down-fall. We are too confident that if we fix other countries problems and force our democratic polocies on them, expecting them to thank us graciously.
Most people see America today as layed back and lazy, and having everything handed to us.

8/25/2008 8:35 PM  
Blogger hannah k said...

I agree with Mark that we Americans think that we've got it easy compared to the rest of the world. Other countries deffinently don't have it as good as we do and that is probably maddening to them sinse we live the easy life and they don't. But, the fact remains that we are still a selfish and lazy country.

9/18/2008 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home