Answering Anna O's question
Growing up in the 21st century of our modernized American society, I find it difficult to actually understand the “inherent and inalienable” rights that we are actually accustomed to today. It is disclosed in the Bill of Rights that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech…” [1st Amendment] yet daily I understand that the government endangers these rights anyway. On top story headlines, I see stories of teachers that obtain court sentences for speaking freely about topics of abortion, cloning, evolution, and creation. On the news I see topics of religion becoming an interference with the public, in which create tension between the church and state laws. For these problems I truly question if we are actually endowed with rights that entitle the freedom of our lives. Yes, we are given the freedoms of choice (to an extent), the right to vote, and additional liberties that differ us from other countries, but I still feel as part of the American society that we are missing the true understanding of what inherent and inalienable rights are.
Matt Timmons, 3rd Hour Robinson

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home